UK Waste Strategy
Used AHPs are some of the few remaining household waste items that go straight to landfill or incineration facilities. They account for 4% - 7%1 of kerbside collected municipal waste.
Knowaste offers a recycling opportunity to help businesses and local authorities divert waste from landfill and meet their recycling targets:
All UK governments see diverting waste from landfill and recycling more as a priority;
- England targets 50% recycling by 2020.
- The Scottish Government is targeting 70% recycling, 5% landfill by 2025 and zero biodegradable waste to landfill by 2020.
- Northern Ireland is setting a recycling target of 60% by 2020
- The Welsh Assembly Government is targeting 70% recycling of MSW by 2020.
- The European Commission adopted proposals for Members States to recycle or reuse 70% of MSW by 2013 and instigate and ban on sending recyclable or biodegradable to landfill by 2025.
Knowaste joins other waste treatment operators in providing solutions that operate at a higher level of the waste hierarchy and which, along with waste prevention, can benefit the environment.